By Kieran Burt.
The DC universe is about to be shaken up in a whole new way, as The Hollywood Reporter (THR) said that a major shake up of DC at Warner Bros. Discovery (WBD) is happening, with Patty Jenkins’ Wonder Woman 3 not moving forward, as well as a rethink for many of the other projects in the universe.
James Gunn and Peter Safran are on the verge of launching a new DC Studio to guide the superhero franchise through what’s hoped to be a more positive and pleasing phase, with a meeting with WBD CEO David Zaslav to lay out their vision.
But elements of this plan are leaking out, with multiple sources telling THR that Jenkins’ current ideas for Wonder Woman 3 are considered dead, with the studio wanting to move in a different direction.
Jenkins directed the 2017 film Wonder Woman, which received widespread acclaim, and the less well received followup in 2020, Wonder Woman 1984.
Jenkins recently submitted her treatment for the follow-up, with co-writer Geoff Johns, and was told that as he project stood it didn’t fit with the new (but still unfolding) plans.
The Wrap reported that Patty Jenkins has quit the project, but there has been no confirmation by WBD.
No decision has been made about the next steps, but if this is true it could have big implications for the other projects Jenkins is attached to.
If Jenkins has indeed removed herself from the project, she might be able to work on projects like her Star Wars film, Rogue Squadron, sooner than anticipated. Disney put the film on indefinite hold earlier in the year.
It’s widely thought this is due to scheduling conflicts with Wonder Woman 3.
Other DC heroes haven’t had full confirmation on their state yet. THR suggests that the Synderverse era of DC could be drawn to a full and proper close, with the shutting down of Man of Steel 2, and getting rid of Aquaman.
This scenario is perhaps the most unlikely, as it’s only recently that Henry Cavill returned to the role of Superman, and had a brief cameoe in Black Adam. But everything is in motion right now.
The characters are due to cameo in the upcoming Flash movie, which itself is the subject of huge controversy because of Ezra Miller’s actions. It’s not clear if this cameo will remain in the film.
Black Adam is also another area of change. The film has struggled to make its budget back, even when ancillary markets are taken into account. This will dampen appetite for a sequel, especially as WBD seeks to shore up its financial position.
But it’s not all bad news and cancellations. The character of Lobo, a foul-mouthed cigar-chomping intergalactic bounty hunter, has been mentioned to be a rising character. He’s an anti-hero, which fits James Gunn’s superhero sensibilities, and may shed a light to where Gunn and Safran might go next.
Matt Reeves’ Batman universe seems to be untouched in this reshuffle. Two spin-offs are in development, including the TV show The Penguin.
James Gunn himself responded to the story via Twitter, saying:
“So. As for the story yesterday in the Hollywood Reporter, some of it is true, some of it is half-true, some of it is not true, & some of it we haven’t decided yet whether it’s true or not.”
He continues in the thread, saying that there is an “unavoidable transitional period” and he doesn’t expect to make everyone happy. He ends by asking audiences to wait a little longer for answers.
The next DC project scheduled for release is the sequel to the 2019 film Shazam! titled Shazam! Fury of the Gods, releasing in cinemas March 17 2023.