Star Trek 4 Indefinitely Delayed
Article by Kieran Burt.
Star Trek 4 has been removed from Paramount’s upcoming release schedule, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
The film, which was slated to release December 22, 2023, has been delayed indefinitely while the studio continues their search for another director.
This news isn’t unexpected, as in late August the director, Matt Shakman, exited the project in favour of directing Marvel’s Fantastic Four film.
“Matt Shakman is an incredibly talented filmmaker, and we regret the timing didn’t align for him to direct our upcoming Star Trek film,” Paramount Pictures said in a statement at the time. “We are grateful for his many contributions, are excited about the creative vision of this next chapter and look forward to bringing it to audiences all around the world.”
Star Trek 4 has already been delayed. Announced February 2022, Paramount had initially set a June 2023 release, though pushed it back to December.
Chris Pine is set to return to star, alongside fellow co-stars Zachary Quinto and Simon Pegg. The Hollywood Reporter reported that the announcement of a fourth instalment came as a surprise to most of the key cast members, with neither them or their representatives being aware of the film until the announcement.
At San Diego Comic Con earlier this year, Chris Pine was asked by Deadline if he had any news about Star Trek 4, to which he said that “I don’t know, I haven’t heard anything about it other than the news.”
Pine and his fellow cast have continued to be kept in the dark, with Pine saying on a podcast recorded before Shakman’s exit: “I think reporters think that we know more than we’re saying. And when I say that I honestly—none of us know anything. I haven’t seen a script. All I heard was that they said we’re making a film. I am so stoked for that idea and possibility as we all are, but it’s so premature to say anything because there’s no date, no nothing. But I’m pretty positive we’d all come back. I don’t see why not.”